Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Delicious: Freezer Cooking

Well, I did another round of freezer cooking today!  When beef is on sale, I always buy the 5 lb bundle; it won't be cheaper anytime soon, and it can be used in so many dishes.  Today I broke that 5 lb roll of ground chuck (80/20) into 2 dozen meatballs, 6 burgers, and a meatloaf.

First, I separated the meat into three bowls; I put 2 lbs in one bowl and 1.5 lbs in each other bowl.

Burgers (2 lb = 6 burgers)
Grilled and Packed Up
Normally I make 4 burgers per pound, but these are for Doug to take to work or quick dinners for me, so I made them a bit bigger.

I never really measure seasoning anymore, but here's a break down of about what I used for 2 lbs:  2 tbsp light soy sauce, 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tbsp pepper.  That's it!  Sometimes I add a bit (between 2 and 3 tsps) of garlic powder too.  I always use soy sauce instead of salt in these kind of dishes to keep the meat moist.

I formed 6 equal patties and grilled them until medium rare/medium (about 7-8 minutes on high heat).  I like under-cooking them a bit when I know they will be reheated in the microwave; it will keep them from being overdone or too tough.  These will actually stay in the fridge instead of the freezer ;)

Meatloaf (1.5 lb = 1 large loaf)
Neither Doug nor I are a big fan of "traditional" meat loaf -- onions, celery, carrots, beef, ketchup inside and over the top -- but we love burgers, meatballs, and other beef dishes, so I made my own take of a meatloaf.  I only made one for now (which we will eat tomorrow); it we both really like it, I will start making some for the freezer!

Again, I usually eye-ball seasoning, but here are the guesstimate amounts:  1/3 to 1/2 c quick-cooking oats, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp pepper, and 2 tsp garlic powder.  I also added some sauteed onions (from the freezer) in the mix.  Oats are a great meatloaf filler (in lieu of bread crumbs) because they absorb more liquid, keeping the loaf more moist; however, because they do absorb liquid, it is important to make sure the meat is very moist (hence the bit larger amounts of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce).

I wrapped it up in foil and placed it in the fridge to be cooked tomorrow.

Meatballs (1.5 lbs = ~2 dozen meatballs)
We love having meatballs in the freezer to make quick hoagies, to add to pasta, or to become a quick appetizer for guests!
Bag o' Balls

I bet you'll never guess how I measure seasoning for these fellas! ;)
Estimate seasoning:  1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tbsp pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 2-3 tsp Italian Seasoning.

After mixing the beef, I divided it into 4 pieces; each piece was split into 6 meatballs (= 24 total).  If a meatball looks a bit bigger or smaller than the others, I pull the excess of and set it aside.  Normally there is enough excess to form one or two additional meatballs.  I normally don't count or pay attention to the number that much when making these, but I know there is at least 2 dozen in there!

After I made them, I browned all of them in a large pan and cooked until medium rare/medium.  I let them cool before transferring to a cookie sheet (with parchment paper) to freeze.  When frozen, I put them in a large freezer bag!

Overall, it took me about an hour to get everything completed (plus about an hour for the meatballs to freeze until they could be stowed).  Not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment