Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Determination: Goals for 2013

So, I have spent the last few weeks thinking about how to plan goals for 2013.  There were so many options that I felt I really needed to look at what I wanted for my life and where I wanted my life to go.

In the end, I thought about this blog and the goal I have for my life:  slowing down so that I can give my friends and family the focus and time they deserve.  Slowing down so that I can take care of myself and be healthy.  Slowing down so that I can grow and develop into a better person.  Slowing down so that my life is a "real" life, not a string of "to do lists" and projects.

So, I'm splitting 2013 into four parts based on why I wanted to decelerate my life.

January-March (Winter): To take care of myself and be healthy.
These three months I will be focusing on taking care of myself!  I have such a tendency to take care of school or the house before me, but I have realized over the last few years that when I take care of myself (by eating regularly and healthy, exercising, getting enough sleep, and having personal time), I am better prepared to take care of my schoolwork, my "chores," and my relationships.

April-June (Spring):  To give my friends and family the focus and time they deserve.
I think this is pretty self explanatory, but I really do want to take my relationships to the "next level" by being a good friend, wife, daughter, sister, etc.  I love my friends and family, but unfortunately I haven't been able to maintain those relationships the way they should be.  No (wo)man is an island, and friends and family are so important to life, growth, and well-being.

July-September (Summer):  To grow and develop into a better person.
For me, this is about doing things that will stretch and challenge me.  Without school, I want to be intentional about continuing to learn and grow on my own.  I'm not sure what this will look like yet, but some possibilities I have considered are training to run a 5K, learning a new language, picking up piano again, beginning work on a book/Bible study, or opening a bakery/cupcake shop.  I may do all of these, some of these, or none of these, but I do want to spend time doing something that will push me forward.

October-December (Fall):  To have a "real" life, not a string of projects
To me, a real life is one that affects others.  For me, I really want to find a way I can begin affecting or serving my community.  Again, I'm not sure what this looks like, But I know I want to be involved in a Church and be a part of some kind of community service.  While this is something I am hoping to do all year (and for my entire life), I want to use the holidays to really focus on community and service.

One of the things I love about these goals is that none of them are things I can "just do" and check off a list.  These are goals that will really challenge me in every area of my life and help to shape my life to be well-rounded and holistic.  Even though I know there will be other "checklist style" goals this year (like my reading goals), I am excited to go out of the box ;)

What are your goals for 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment