Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Disoriented

Disoriented (adjective):  confused, mixed up, not adjusted

What is that they say about the best laid plans of mice and men?

After finishing up most of the 444 plan, I had shared how Doug and I were going to be working to finish organizing our apartment by the end of January.  Well, things don't always go as you plan them.  Classes began last week, taking up more time than we realized it would.  On top of this, Doug's grandfather passed away, requiring time and travel (not to mention a lot of emotions) during the middle of the week.  When we started to get back into the swing of things, we had a lot of schoolwork to make up and a lot of apartment left to clean!

We were able to catch up with school and get a few things set up (like the Baker's Rack in my kitchen), but dishes and laundry pause for no man!  To me, getting all these things done in a week's time was ridiculous; Doug had to remind me that I was trying to keep up with my own deadline.  Isn't it funny how things like that just creep up on you?  Having our apartment done by January was just chosen in order to spread out my "resolutions" throughout the year in order to stop myself from trying to accomplish too much at once, and I was running myself ragged trying to get too much done!

So, here I am, taking another day off from maniacally cleaning and reorganizing in order to enjoy life.  I had lunch with a friend.  I had a phone date with another friend.  I got to hang out with my husband.  I might even take a nap *gasp*  The point is that I am still learning to decelerate; I am still adjusting to living life based on values and priorities, not deadlines and expectations.  And I think a lot of us are fighting that battle!

Anyways!  My point is that goals and resolutions are good things, but we need to focus on the reason behind the goal much more than the expectation or deadline attached to it.  I hope this realization encourages you as much as it has encouraged me!

P.S. Don't worry, I will still post re-organizing pictures and updates on how we got our apartment into working order!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment